STUDIO POLICIES & GUIDELINES
Parents, guardians, and students can expect that all faculty and staff will respect the well being of each
student, treat her/him fairly, and encourage their growth and self-esteem as unique individuals.
Should any concern or issue arise, please do not hesitate to speak directly with the Principals.
EXPECTATIONS AND ETIQUETTE FOR GATE STUDENTS
Just as teachers are expected to respect students, students are expected to respect each other, the faculty and
staff at GATE, and the building and studios.
• When using the facilities, including toilet areas and changing rooms, students are expected to clean up after
themselves, including throwing away rubbish and packing up belongings.
We ask that older students (and parents) be aware that they are setting the example for younger students, and
reflect wise choices in their both their language and behavior. As dancers, certain behaviors are requested of us in
the studio and as we prepare to dance.
• Dancers are to arrive on time and prepared for classes. This includes wearing proper uniform and hair pulled back.
• Older dancers are encouraged to arrive a bit early for class to begin stretching and warming up.
• In the event that a dancer is late and class has already started, the dancer is to come into the studio and
wait by the door for the teacher to acknowledge them and give them instructions. Dancers arriving
severely late may be asked to sit out of class to reduce the risk of injury after missing warm up.
• Consistency IS important! Plan your time wisely (homework, extracurricular activities, etc) so that you can
attend all of your dance classes each week.
• As a matter of respect for dance peers and the teacher, dancers are to keep talking to a minimum during
class and participate fully in the lesson.
• Cell phones MUST be left outside of the studios.
• Dancers are to leave bags, coats, and other personal belongings outside of the studios. • No food or drink is permitted within the studios except water.
• All dancers should bring a labelled water bottle to the studio.
• Chewing Gum is prohibited during class or in the studios.
• Dancers who consistently refuse to follow directions or respect their classmates may be asked to sit out of
class (Behavior Policy outlined below).
We are committed to educate our students, model behaviours, and help dancers grow with love and respect
If for any reason a student does not meet the expectations outlined above, staff from GATE will talk to both student and parent about behavior issues.
THE FIVE-CLAP RULE:
Teachers may choose to initiate a three-clap rule, particularly useful for re-gathering attention after a water
break or after group work. Teachers clap three times in a rhythm and students are to repeat the claps back –
signalling quiet voices and attention to the teacher.
Students are to arrive with appropriate dance attire and their hair pulled back. It is imperative that dancers
be able to move freely without inhibition and that teachers are able to clearly see the line of the body in order
to properly assess alignment and posture. Students may not wear the following items: jeans, short
shorts, baggy sweatpants, pajamas, or big/distracting jewelry (no dangling earrings, bracelets, or
necklaces). If a student consistently arrives without proper attire, s/he may be asked to sit out of class.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR PARENTS
ATTENDANCE AND PICK UP
Students are to arrive on time for class. Students arriving severely late may be asked to sit out of class to
reduce the risk of injury after missing warm up. Please call the office to let the instructor know your student
will be late if you know you are running behind. In cases of repeated tardiness, parents will be contacted by
Pick your children up immediately after class. Please call the studio to notify the office if you will be late due to
an emergency. Please note: if late pick-up is chronic, a fee will be assessed and billed to the parent’s account.
Parents and guardians are responsible for arranging proper supervision of their children if it
is necessary for them to stay in the building for periods of time before, after, or in between classes. Parents may
want to consider making arrangements with older students or babysitters to ensure supervision of younger
It is important to the cohesiveness of your students’ dance training that they attend classes every week as
scheduled. If your child will be absent from class, please contact the office prior to the class time. This is
especially mandatory with regard to rehearsals and performances.
MAKE UP LESSONS:
Make-up lessons for canceled classes during the term will be re- scheduled, or money will be returned. We will
strive to announce make-up dates as soon as possible.
If at any time our data should be breached we will inform everyone on our database,
Customer data will only be kept whilst the customer has pupils at GATE. Upon a pupil leaving GATE all data concerning that pupil will be destroyed unless otherwise requested.
CLICK HERE TO SEE OUR PRIVACY, DATA AND OTHER POLICIES